DePuy Synthes Knee Implant Lawsuits
Have you had a knee replacement surgery?
After your knee replacement surgery, did you develop persistent pain, unusual swelling, instability and loosening, and/or warmth or heat in the knee?
You could be entitled to compensation.
On September 26, 2017, Pendley, Baudin & Coffin, L.L.P. filed the first pending federal lawsuit in Baton Rouge, Louisiana concerning a failure of a DePuy Attune knee implant. The plaintiff is Rocky Thompson who underwent a subsequent surgery to remove and replace the defective Attune device.
The attorneys at Pendley, Baudin & Coffin, L.L.P. are actively investigating potential legal claims on behalf of those who were implanted with the DePuy Synthes Attune Knee System. The FDA has received numerous reports of early device failures. If you had surgery in 2011 or later and suffered complications or the symptoms above, please contact us immediately.
projected increase in additional surgeries to remove failed knee implants by 2030, including all manufacturers.1
Depicted above is the femoral component (left) and tibial component (right) of the Attune Knee System. The femoral component (left) shows adequate cement and bone fixation. The tibial component (right) shows little to no cement or bone adherent to the tibial component which is one of the causes of the alarmingly high rates of failure of the Attune implant.
DePuy Synthes Attune Knee Replacement Problems.
High numbers of complaints have recently emerged from patients who have been implanted with the DePuy Synthes Attune Knee System. These reports, submitted to the FDA, indicate a high number of Attune failures caused by loosening or debonding at the cement interface of the tibial baseplate. This mechanism of early failure generally occurs one to two years after the initial implant and often times earlier. Loosening and debonding of the tibial baseplate or tray leads to pain, swelling, inflammation, infection, instability and other injuries including severe bone and/or muscle loss and damage. After these symptoms appear, it often times leads to additional medical procedures or surgeries, referred to as a revision surgery.
When a knee replacement prematurely fails, patients can face infection, painful revision surgery, and extensive rehabilitation. Revision surgery is typically more difficult than the initial surgery, especially when bone loss has developed as a result of the implanted device. A common reason for knee implant failure noted by surgeons performing revision surgeries, appears to be when the device fails to adhere to the bone due to the lack of bonding between the bone and the implant.
How Do You Know If Your Attune Knee Implant Has Failed?
Symptoms of Attune Knee implant failure may include the following:
- Instability and Loosening: If you’re experiencing instability in your knee when you stand or put weight on it, or your knee is moving backwards or sideways in any manner, this may be a sign of a defective product. This condition grows increasingly worse as ligaments become inflamed and damaged.
- Unusual Swelling: When the knee lining becomes inflamed, it generally causes fluid to build up resulting in the sensation of swelling. This is another indication that something could be failing with a knee implant.
- Persistent Pain: If you’re experiencing constant or persistent throbbing or pain when your knee is in motion or while resting, you could be suffering from a failed implant.
- Warmth or Heat in the Knee: Although this is a normal sensation for a few months following surgery, if warmth or heat in your knee returns, this could be caused by a failed Attune knee implant.
Most common device failures listed in complaints to the FDA include:
- Loss of or failure to bond
- Component(s) worn
- Loss of Osseointegration
- Metal shedding debris
“In all revision cases described in this study, there was an apparent loosening of the tibial component with gross implant motion between the tibial tray and tibial bone cement. All patients underwent revision of both tibial and femoral components. In all tibial cases, the tibial component had debonded and was easily separated from the cement mantle.” From Unusually High Rate of Early Failure of Tibial Component in ATTUNE Total Knee Arthoplasty System at Implant-Cement Interface.
Should I Investigate a Legal Claim?
If you or a loved one has suffered any of the problems listed above or implant failure following knee replacement surgery with an Attune Knee System, don’t wait for additional DePuy knee implant pain or a device recall before exploring your legal rights. Call us at (888) 725-2477 today.
Credit: Pictures from "Unusually High Rate of Early Failure of Tibial Component in ATTUNE Total Knee Arthoplasty System at Implant-Cement Interface."
1Knee Arthroplasty Revision With a Constrained Implant Using Hinge and Rotating Tibial Basis, Marco Kawamura Demange, 2016 Jan-Feb.
Meet Our Attorneys
As a partner and the leader of Pendley, Baudin & Coffin's pharmaceutical and medical devices litigation practices, Chris Coffin has prosecuted cases against pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers for over 15 years and has been licensed as a registered nurse for 22 years.
Chris Coffin has years of experience and background in litigating complex cases involving defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices, environmental contamination, product liability, toxic torts and consumer fraud claims. Mr. Coffin has been heavily involved in multiple class action and mass tort cases throughout the United States and has served as a leader in many national lawsuits representing thousands of individuals.
As a partner and the leader of Pendley, Baudin & Coffin's pharmaceutical and medical device litigation practice, Mr. Coffin has prosecuted cases against pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers for over fifteen years and has been licensed as a registered nurse for approximately twenty-two years. The combination of his background in nursing and law provides him with a unique perspective when litigating pharmaceutical and medical device cases. The knowledge and experience that he possesses in the area of pharmaceutical and medical device litigation has helped the firm to successfully litigate thousands of cases addressing drug and device manufacturing defects, design defects, inadequate warnings and fraudulent misrepresentations made by manufacturers. The firm has litigated cases against some of the largest pharmaceutical and medical device companies in the world and has led national pharmaceutical cases involving clients from almost every state in the country.
Education & Professional Background
- University of Maryland (J.D. / Certificate in Health Care Law, 1999)
- University of Cincinnati (B.S.N., 1995)
- Registered Nurse (Louisiana)
- Judicial Law Clerk, United States Department of Justice Honors Program - Drug Enforcement Administration (1999-2000)
- FAA Private Pilot Certificate (Airplane, Single Engine, Land)
- State Bar of Louisiana, 2002
- State Bar of Georgia, 1999
- U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Activities & Affiliations
- American Association for Justice
- Louisiana Association for Justice
- American Association of Nurse Attorneys
Publications, Presentations & Interviews
- Taxotere Litigation - Permanent Hair Loss, Mass Torts Made Perfect, October 20, 2016, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Talcum Powder, ELIQUIS, PPI, Essure, Taxotere & Roundup Litigation, HarrisMartin's MDL Conference, September 28, 2016, Washington, D.C.
- Taxotere: A Story About Greed and Deception, Consumer Attorney Marketing Group, Expert hosted Webinar, June 29, 2016
- Emerging Mass Tort - Taxotere, Mass Torts Made Perfect, April 20, 2016, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Navigating Mass Torts, Class Actions, and Consumer Litigation: Avoiding Self-Inflicted Wounds; Louisiana State Bar Association Mid Year Conference, New Orleans, LA, January 14, 2016
- Benicar Litigation, Mass Torts Made Perfect, October 14 - 16, 2015, Las Vegas, NV
- Bair Hugger Forced Air Warming Blanket Orthopedic Implant Infection Litigation, Mass Torts Made Perfect, October 14 - 16, 2015, Las Vegas, NV
- Benicar Litigation, American Association for Justice, Plaintiff-Only Hot Topics and Trends in Litigation Seminar, December 2 - 3, 2014, Charleston, SC
- Current Status of the Litigation (Lipitor), American Association for Justice, Plaintiff-Only Pharmaceuticals and Medical Device Litigation, January 28 - 29, 2014, New Orleans, LA
- SSRI's and Effexor Litigation, Mass Torts Made Perfect, October 9 - 11, 2013, Las Vegas, NV
- Third Party Discovery, American Association for Justice, Plaintiff-Only Pharmaceuticals and Medical Device Litigation, September 24 & 25, 2013, Philadelphia, PA
- American Association for Justice Annual Convention, July 20-23, San Francisco, CA
- SSRI Antidepressant Birth Defect Cases Litigation Group, Update on Status of the Litigation, July 23, 2013
- SSRI Antidepressant Birth Defect Litigation Group, Screening of SSRI Birth Defect Cases, July 23, 2013
- SSRI's: Effexor and Zoloft, Plaintiff-Only Pharmaceuticals and Medical Device Litigation Update Seminar, March 19-20, 2013, San Diego, CA
- Panel on SSRI Birth Defects, American Association for Justice 2013 Winter Convention, February 9-13, 2013, Miami, FL
- Effexor Birth Defect Litigation, Zoloft and Birth Defects Litigation Conference, HB Litigation Conferences, July 11, 2012, Philadelphia, PA
- Zoloft and SSRIs: The History of the Litigation and Latest Developments, Harris Martin's MDL Conference: Hot Topics in the MDL and Class Action Litigation, March 28, 2012, San Diego, CA
- SSRI/Birth Defect Case Evaluation and Procedural Issues, Mass Torts Made Perfect Presents: Yaz Litigation and Emerging Torts: SSRIs, Transvaginal Mesh, and Actos, September 13, 2011, Philadelphia, PA
- Understanding The SSRI's Involved In Causing Birth Defects, Mass Torts Made Perfect & Torts Made Perfect, Antidepressant/Anti-Seizure Medication Birth Defect Litigation And Zimmer Nexgen Litigation (A Plaintiffs Only Forum), May 24, 2011, Philadelphia, PA
- Birth Defect Litigation: Giving Birth To A New Mass Tort Causing Big Injuries To The Littlest Victims, Mass Torts Made Perfect Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada, April 14, 2011
- Client Injuries Pre and Post Implant Revision - Analysis of the Medical Records, HB Litigation's Orthopedic Litigation Conference, West Palm Beach, Florida, January 19, 2011
- The Science - Studies and Evidence of Adverse Effects of the Heart, Harris Martin's Darvon and Darvocet Recall Litigation Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, January 14, 2011
- Chris Coffin Discusses BP's Oil Spill Litigation With Bloomberg Law's Lee Pacchia, May 10, 2010
- MDL Status of Oil Spill Cases, Harris Martin's Oil Spill Litigation Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 23, 2010
- Chris Coffin Discusses New Developments In Multi-District Litigation Resulting From BP'S Oil Spill In The Gulf Of Mexico With Bloomberg Law's Lee Pacchia, August 18, 2010
- Class Action Considerations in the Chinese Drywall Litigation - A Survey of Case Law, CHINESE DRYWALL LITIGATION REPORT, May, 2010
- Choose Your Weapon: Class Action v. Mass Tort, Drugs & Supplements, December, 2003
- Case Law and Clinical Considerations Involving Physical Restraint and Seclusion for Institutionalized Persons with Mental Disabilities (23 MPDLR 597 (1999))
- Maryland Psychiatric Society, Inc. v. Wasserman: The Fourth Circuit Limits Psychiatrists Full Recovery for Services Rendered to Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (57 Md. L. Rev. 1233 (1998))